Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The French Trots at Yonkers
The French trotting program at Yonkers seems to be working.  Handle for the 11-race card was $667,749.  That's an average of $60.704 per race.   

Sunday post time allows for "nighttime" viewing for the French.  

The other thing I liked was the 1 1/4 distance.  It just seems that there is more movement and more opportunity with an extra 1/4 mile ti run.  

What do you guys think?
Having them in time for those in Europe to bet is a great idea. I believe that Paris is 6 hours ahead the Eastern United States. So getting the races off before they turn in for the night should workout.

Personally, I enjoy the races at a little longer distances from time to time but prefer them to be the standard mile. Just something about being able to compare times across races from multiple tracks and multiple years makes me feel comfortable. But I do like those special races that are longer just to mix things up a bit. Same horses at different distances, especially with drivers that aren't quite as sure what to expect can make for some interesting races.
Agreed.  The 1 1/4 is a nice diversion.  Yonkers has also run some at 1 1/16 in the past as well.  The finish line at Yonkers is supposed to be moved---it really is tough to see which horse wins sometimes---simply, it is not in the right spot.  

And, yes Paris is six hours ahead of Yonkers.  The 12:30 post is 6:30 for the Frenchers!
Thanks for the correction of being "ahead" of us by 6 hours. I fixed my post.

One thing that looks interesting is that harness racing seems to still be strong in other parts of the world.

I watched this race from France a couple days ago. Very impressive. One day I would like to go over there just to seem them in person:

http://www.letrot.com/fr/replay-courses/...-26/7500/4
Yes---the French seem to rally behind it and the International Trot at Yonkers is a big deal in Norway, Sweden, Italy and other European nations.

If you read HRU—Harness Racing Update---there was a letter that called for better marketing.  One suggestion was to advertise on Kentucky Derby day.  To me, that is a great idea----you could do a did you know thing and encourage viewers to visit a harness track nearby. 

USTA just elected a new president.  They all say that the sport needs to be better marketed but what can they really do about it?  Let’s hop they will do something. 

We like it, but do others?  Moreover, do they know it is even around?
I've never been a fan of trotting. Too many horses break during the races that I just never became interested. Also didn't have the same big names that you do in pacing.
I used to think like that, and I still prefer pacers, because....they run faster.  But, give trotters another try this year!   The Hambletonian is the biggest day of the harness racing year and that race as you know is for trotters..........
(02-27-2017, 10:05 PM)Johnny 228 Wrote: We like it, but do others?  Moreover, do they know it is even around?

I think that is the obstacle to overcome. It would be interesting to see if they marketed to the NASCAR fans. There are definitely parallels between the sports. Unfortunately, it seems like harness racing is more popular in the Northeast part of the United States while NASCAR has a great concentration in the South.

The goal still needs to be to get the college kids interested.
(02-28-2017, 02:29 AM)Johnny 228 Wrote: I used to think like that, and I still prefer pacers, because....they run faster.  But, give trotters another try this year!   The Hambletonian is the biggest day of the harness racing year and that race as you know is for trotters..........

OK< I'll give them another try. I'll try to avoid the lower purse races and just watch the big purses. Maybe too many horses that just aren't able to handle that style.

How many horses transition between the two types of gaits.