Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How about this race?
Today--a 5/8 mile race at Pompano Park

https://harnessracing228.com/2017/12/28/...-thursday/
I always assumed the standard was at least a mile due to the endurance of standardbreds. Anything shorter would waste this advantage these type of horses have. But I will be interested to see this race. Hopefully it will get posted on YouTube so we can analyze it.
I watched the race and it was disappointing----the leader went to the front and that was that.  No movement, no nothing.  The fractions were ordinary---  27 and change, 54 and change and a final time of 1:08.   

I wouldn't give up on trying this again.  But, this "inaugural," event at Pompano was just a shorter version of your normal one mile pace.
(12-29-2017, 01:11 PM)Johnny 228 Wrote: I watched the race and it was disappointing----the leader went to the front and that was that.  No movement, no nothing.  The fractions were ordinary---  27 and change, 54 and change and a final time of 1:08.   

I wouldn't give up on trying this again.  But, this "inaugural," event at Pompano was just a shorter version of your normal one mile pace.

Does it need to be shorter...like a 1/2 mile race. Might even be more interesting on a mile track.
Well---Pompano is 5/8 track----it was one lap around-------so in theory, it could have been a good one.  It was just one of those races, where the winner wired the field.  Boring.   

But, that doesn't mean future races wouldn't be better.
After thinking about it more, I think Harness racing is more interesting because of the drivers and their strategy. The shorter the race, the the less amount strategy that is necessary. Just have the fastest horse and let him go. The turns really play into that strategy.
I like longer races from time to time. Not sure I would like shorter races.